Industrial Power System Protection
Learn the fundamentals of industrial power system protection to jumpstart your career. Electrical engineers, electricians and electrical engineering professionals will benefit from this extensive course by learning from a practicing professional engineer.
About the Trainer
Ryan is a registered Professional Engineer in United States, Canada and the Philippines. He has over 16 years of working experience in industrial sectors, utility power and renewables. At present, he is a Senior Protection & Control Engineer working for one of United States leading power engineering firm. He is a member of the IEEE Power & Energy Society.
- Power system faults – generator equations, Thevenin equivalent circuit, fault on radial line, fault on looped system
- Relay design concepts – digital relay architecture, analog to digital conversion, relay algorithms, digital filtering
- Instrument transformers – current transformers (steady-state analysis, transient analysis), voltage transformers
- Industrial power system topology – radial system, looped system
- Industrial system grounding – ungrounded, solidly grounded, low-impedance, high-resistance grounding
- Equipment damage and protection basics – cable, transformer, motor
- Protection systems – power system protection and control, DC tripping, zones of protection, circuit breakers, primary protection, backup protection, remote backup, local backup
- Feeder protection – instantaneous overcurrent element (50), inverse-time overcurrent element (51)
- Introduction to line distance protection, line directional overcurrent protection and line pilot protection.
- Overcurrent device coordination
- Transformer protection – protection by fuse, protection by low voltage circuit breakers, protection by relays
- Motor protection – low voltage motor protection, protection for high-power induction motor with breaker and with contactor, motor thermal protection, motor short-circuit protection
- Manual and software calculation exercises
Q: What is the format of this course?
A: Asynchronous learning that include recorded lectures you can access anytime 24 hours a day. The course include recorded lectures, quizzes to test what you learned, assignments to further challende your understanding and feedback from the instructor on your answers.
Q: Why asynchronous learning?
A: We belive this instruction delivery is better suited for busy professionals like yourself. This allows all the oppotunity needed to fully absorb the material and at the same time provides schedule flexiblity. Just think of the formal degress like MSEE offered online by recognized universities locally and abroad.
Q: What if I have questions?
A: There are Q&A sections in each lesson where you can ask questions and get answers directly from the instructor. You can also send emails to us.
Q: What if my questions are complicated?
A: We will create video lectures to answer your questions and upload them into the Q&A section. This will become a live repository of all questions from past and present students where everyone can learn from each others questions.
Q: What else can I expect from this course?
A: This course include discussion of theories, practical applications, manual calculations showing steps, demonstrations via software (excel, ETAP or SKM), correlation with actual projects design/experience of the trainer.
Q: How long do I have access to the course?
A: You have 8 weeks access to the course. Length can be extended for extensive courses.
Q: Can I use this training to claim for CPD points?
A: We will issue a course completion certificate. You can then use the certificate to claim for self directed CPD points credit. Please refer to PRC CPDAS website for the procedure to claim.
How to register
- Fill and submit the imbedded Google form below. When using mobile devices (smartphones and tablets), the Google Form height may not fit in your browser. Make sure to scroll down until you find the blue Submit Button at the end of the form. If it doesn’t work, try this option Click Here Directly Fill-up PROT400 Google Form
- You will receive registration confirmation from Google. Check your spam folder and inbox.
- Pay the registration fee. Click Here for payment methods details (via bank deposit & G-Cash).
- Once payment is made, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with your payment details (transaction number, date, amount).
- We will send your login credentials.
- Add email@example.com to your contact list to make sure you will receive notification and reminders.
Ready to get started?